hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #48

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 16:08:34 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/30/02 2:39:43 PM Central Standard Time,
rmosher at 21stcentury.net writes:

> Another point: chocolate malt lies outside the realm of technological
>  feasibility until 1819, when the drum roaster was invented, allowing for
>  very quick roasting and very quick cooling, which made really dark malts
>  possible. Before that, the darkest malts were "brown" malts, which at
75-150
>  Lovibond, are about a third the color of chocolate (at 300-450). So,
>  chocolate and black malts should be off-limits to you medieval recreators!

    I emphatically agree that black patent malt is not technologically
feasible until 1817.  That is what the "patent" was about; the airtight,
evacuated kiln that made it possible to roast the malt black without
having it burst into flames.
    However, I understand that porter, which uses chocolate malt,
dates from sometime around 1750.  I thought that chocolate malt
was not dependent on that technology.
    Citation, please?

    Similarly, crystal malts of all colors and varieties are dependent
on a pressurized kiln which was developed sometime during the
Industrial Revolution.  Anybody have the date for that?

    Scotti
    Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.