hist-brewing: Domesday ale

Martyn Cornell atrectus at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 05:56:12 PST 2002

Sorry to stifle this line of inquiry, but the Domesday Ale brewed by the
Cornish Brewery Company was, as far as I am aware, a hopped modern-style
beer, a limited edition of 17 barrels (imperial) brewed and bottled to
commemorate the 900th anniversary of William the Conqueror's Domesday book
in 1987. (I have bottle number 62 ...) Its point of interest was that, at an
OG of 1143 and an abv of 15.86 per cent, it claimed to be the world's
strongest beer by both original gravity and alcohol by volume. The Cornish
Brewery Co, once part of Devenish, still exists but is now known as Redruth
Brewery (1742) Ltd. See its website at www.redruth-brewery.fsnet.co.uk ...

Martyn Cornell