hist-brewing: Re: ale

Jeff Renner JeffRenner at mediaone.net
Wed Jan 23 12:46:27 PST 2002

Edward of Cornwall <fourmountainsmarch at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Oh, yes I have done the ale thing.
>
>I used malt, water, and yeast.
>
>You shoulddrink it fresh with no carbonation. I
>presented some to the King of Atenveldt. I heard it
>was drank with much dellight. Since your ale has
>nothing to preserve it you should keep in in the
>fridge and don't hold on to it long.

Actually, I brewed such an ale several years ago that is holding up
fine.  If we have archives, it will be there under "domesday ale".  I
brewed it with 50% home malted oats, 25% each malted wheat and malted
barley (and ~1% chocolate malt), to a gravity of 1.086.  Bottled it
at several months in 7 oz. nips.  it still tastes pretty sweet.  I
should try a nip and report for those who remember it.

If I were going it again I think I would use some gruit mixture for balance.

Jeff of Ann Arbor
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, JeffRenner at mediaone.net
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943