hist-brewing: Different Alcohols

OudBruin at aol.com OudBruin at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 19:36:03 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/4/02 9:47:45 PM, PBLoomis at aol.com writes:

<<  In an article of beers, my local Friday supplement includes the
following statement:
    "... don't confuse a 10 percent beer with a 10 percent wine -- the
alcohols in these drinks are different, and you'll find that a 10 percent
beer packs about the same punch as a martini."
    There are two statements here (1) the alcohol in beer is different
from the alcohol in wine, and (2) a 10 percent beer packs about the
same punch as a martini.  I don't believe either one of them.
    Any of you knowledgeable people care to comment?
    Scotti >>

I have a calibrated hydrometer that reads 1.100 the same way in wine or beer.
10% usually refers to 10% alcohol by volume, I think your local newspaper is
having a little fun with you.