hist-brewing: brewing with corn

Chuck Wettergreen meadmakr at enteract.com
Thu Dec 27 18:05:32 PST 2001

 "John Thomson" <jazzman712 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if this could work.  I have a farmer that has
offered to
> give me as much corn as I want for brewing.  The trouble is,
I've never used
> raw corn in beer.  How do you process it?  I've used corn sugar
before and
> make a good porter using the sugar, but how do you get the corn
to break
> down to a point where it you can use it?  Can it be malted?
How is it
> processed into sugar?  Do you grind it and add it to the mash?
Will it add
> to the alcohol level?  Or does it just add flavoring?  My books
don't tell
> me much about raw corn.  I'm doing all-grain brewing right now.
Help!

Jack Schmidling (of maltmill fame) had an excellent recipe for
corn beer. Basically you bought a bag of chicken-scratch (ground
corn, about $5 for 25 pounds), boiled it a while, then mixed in
malted barley and water. I've lost my copy but I'm sure it's in
the RCB archives, say about 1997.

Cheers,

Chuck Wettergreen
Meadmaker
Beekeeper
Geneva, IL

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 2
> From: NeophyteSG at aol.com
> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:58:21 EST
> Subject: Re: hist-brewing: corn
> To: hist-brewing at www.pbm.com
>

> --part1_16c.645cee0.295cbb3d_boundary
>
> In a message dated 12/27/01 9:41:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> jazzman712 at hotmail.com writes:
>

> > I was wondering if this could work.  I have a farmer that has
offered to
> > give me as much corn as I want for brewing.  The trouble is,
I've never
> > used
> > raw corn in beer.  How do you process it?  I've used corn
sugar before and
> > make a good porter using the sugar, but how do you get the
corn to break
> > down to a point where it you can use it?  Can it be malted?
How is it
> > processed into sugar?  Do you grind it and add it to the
mash?  Will it add

> > to the alcohol level?  Or does it just add flavoring?  My
books don't tell
> > me much about raw corn.  I'm doing all-grain brewing right
now.  Help!

> Do a search of the web for "chicha" (Latin-American corn beer).
Short answer
> to your question: corn can be malted or you can use amylase.
Historically in
> some regions, the corn was chewed then spit into the fermenter
where the
> enzymes in the saliva converted the starch to sugars.  Hmmm ...
spit beer ...

jazzman712 at hotmail.com writes:<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I was
wondering if this could work.&nbsp; I have a farmer that has
offered to <BR>
> give me as much corn as I want for brewing.&nbsp; The trouble
is, I've never used <BR>
> raw corn in beer.&nbsp; How do you process it?&nbsp; I've used
corn sugar before and <BR>
> make a good porter using the sugar, but how do you get the corn
to break <BR>
> down to a point where it you can use it?&nbsp; Can it be
malted?&nbsp; How is it <BR>
> processed into sugar?&nbsp; Do you grind it and add it to the
mash?&nbsp; Will it add <BR>
> to the alcohol level?&nbsp; Or does it just add
flavoring?&nbsp; My books don't tell <BR>
> me much about raw corn.&nbsp; I'm doing all-grain brewing right
now.&nbsp; Help!<BR>
> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
> <BR>
> Do a search of the web for "chicha" (Latin-American corn
beer).&nbsp; Short answer to your question: corn can be malted or
you can use amylase.&nbsp; Historically in some regions, the corn
was chewed then spit into the fermenter where the enzymes in the
saliva converted the starch to sugars.&nbsp; Hmmm ... spit beer
... thanks, I'll stick to amylase! :)<BR>