hist-brewing: corn

John Thomson jazzman712 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:40:22 PST 2001

I was wondering if this could work.  I have a farmer that has offered to
give me as much corn as I want for brewing.  The trouble is, I've never used
raw corn in beer.  How do you process it?  I've used corn sugar before and
make a good porter using the sugar, but how do you get the corn to break
down to a point where it you can use it?  Can it be malted?  How is it
processed into sugar?  Do you grind it and add it to the mash?  Will it add
to the alcohol level?  Or does it just add flavoring?  My books don't tell
me much about raw corn.  I'm doing all-grain brewing right now.  Help!

John Thomson