hist-brewing: Ginger

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Sun Dec 23 21:59:26 PST 2001

I've made an English-style ginger beer, which is what you end up with if you
add yeast to Jamaican-style ginger beer.

I make it double strength and dilute at bottling time.  I put 4-6 oz
shredded ginger root (peel and all) into 1.5 gallons boiling water.  On
cooling I add 1 cup lemon juice, a bit of yeast nutrient, and enough sugar
to give 5-6 percent alcohol (before dilution).  Any neutral yeast will do.

When fermented out, I dilute to double the volume and prime the bottles with
sugar.
It's very spicy!

Sean