hist-brewing: Re: racking off fruit

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Sat Dec 22 20:14:02 PST 2001

   I've found that the "chore boy" type of scrubber is too thin and lacks
enough surface area to act as a good sieve.  Try and use a Stainless Steel
scrubby that is more bushy and thick to be a better strainer on the end of
the racking cane.  The SS balls work for all my fruits brews except
persimmons.
   I've never used a fermentation bag to contain the fruit. How do you clean
and sanitize it and do you reuse the bag or dispose after use?
   I'm about to do another Persimmon Mead.  In my previous two brews, I've
lost a lot of mead to a fluffy and floating persimmon residue sediment.  The
stuff just wouldn't compact even by using finings.  I was thinking of
fermenting in a bag to avoid repeating the problem.
Bob Grossman