hist-brewing: Hops -- was "ageing mead"

Martyn Cornell atrectus at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 16:56:05 PST 2001

A couple of comments on Randy Mosher's posting:

> Hopped beers were pretty much the rule in Britain by 1600 or so, although
> pockets of primitive practice probably lingered in the countryside for a
> while.

In St Albans, 25 miles or so from London, in 1606 the mayor and corporation
ruled that there should only be six brewers in the town, four beer brewers
and two ale brewers. Clearly they were still separate trades, and I suspect
the numbers reflect the popularity ratio of the two drinks at that time, at
least in Southern England.

> By this time, references to beer and ale have more to do
> with strength than hops or lack thereof.

>From 1700, absolutely

> There is an excellent book on the subject: "Country House Brewing in
> England, 1500-1900) By Pamela Sambrook. FYI, the other current book on the
> subject: "You Brew Good Ale," is kind of a mess, and almost impossible to
> read.

I know the author of You Brew Good Ale, he is a fellow member of the Brewery
History Society, so I have to take care what I say, but Pamela Sambrook's
book is excellent, superbly researched and illustrated, a must-have.

Martyn Cornell