hist-brewing: What to do with malted rye

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Thu Dec 13 15:55:23 PST 2001

Charley:

I appreciated your post on malting rye.  I'm starting to try malting
buckwheat and maize for gluten-free brewing, and every version of the
process helps me figure things out.  Re. your comments:

> Probably could, but historically they malted all the grain. I would not
want
> to make an un-malted grain 30% of my mash though. I have added 8 oz of
> flaked rye for flavor and head retention to some brews in the past. I
would
> think that 4 pounds of un-malted grain would make it hard to sparge. You
> would probably have an edible head (Very thick) on the final result.

All these things can and do happen, but if anticipated properly you can do
several things:  reduce grain depth in the lauter tun, add rice hulls, do a
protein rest, or if you're getting period just make a cloudy wort (partly
joking).  You sound like the kind of person who would manage OK.

I wish I knew more about the
> chemistry of what would happen. My biology sucks also ...

You've successfully made malt.  I haven't yet.  One of the great things
about homebrewing is how everyone confirms my belief that any reasonably
intelligent person can achieve competence in areas of science and technology
that concern them.

Sean