hist-brewing: going to try something old but new for me

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Mon Dec 10 18:41:42 PST 2001

I have been reading a book about 16th and 17th century English estate
breweries. I am going to try to wash the mash instead of sparging. I was
wondering if any of you have any of you have tried this before and could
share your advise if you have.

What I am planning on doing is a basic English style brown ale. I usually
mash in a big Ice chest, and transfer it to a 10 gallon Gott can with a
"Phill's Phalse bottom". This time I have modified a HUGE Ice chest with a
hole saw and a spigot. The spigot is about 4 inches from the bottom. I plan
on adding all of the sparge water to the ice chest, stirring like mad
(without splashing) with a wooden paddle that I copied out of the book
(period term is "rowing"), then allowing everything to settle. I then hope
to draw the wort off of the top. I am planning on repeating the process to
make a small beer. I quit making small beers several years ago because I got
my sparging process down so well that it became fairly pointless. I have
2-fifteen gallon kettles and one twenty gallon kettle, so I was thinking of
adding extra water and boiling down for a longer period. I have also been
told that I need to really crank the roller mill down and almost flour the
grain. I am real leery about doing this because I will have no way to switch
to the regular sparger if this turns into a fiasco. If it works I am going
to try a wheat beer. It might be fun to do one of them with out worrying
whether the sparger is going to clog.

So what do you guys think? Lost my mind? On the right track?

Charley Atchley

2+8=2*5=15-5=70/7=-8+12=3+7=5+5=12-2
You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you
might not get there. --Yogi Berra