hist-brewing: koji

AlannnnT at aol.com AlannnnT at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 21:06:42 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/6/01 9:39:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
segedy at gsinet.net writes:

> What is koji?

Koji is a mold, similar to yeast. The primary thing that makes ordinary
homemade rice-wine different from sake is the action of koji. When you mix
the koji with the cooked rice, it starts to 'digest ' the rice, breaking it
down to more simple sugars. So, the yeast can ferment it into alcohol more
easily. The koji starts working, then the yeast is introduced. The koji keeps
working while the yeast is working on the already 'digested' rice. The unique
complexity of each specific sake is partially controlled by the introduction
of more rice at various intervals. Of course, this is simplistically
presented. Sake flavor is greatly affected by the rice variety, water, koji
culture, yeast strain, temperature, fermentation schedule, racking interval,
fermentation vessels and the skill of its creator.

Now I'm going downstairs to my homebrew fridge/vault to open a split of my
homemade sake. Served on the rocks, it's slightly yellow but very clear, dry
and sharp with a pronounced rice flavor. Note: keep your finished sake
refrigerated, or it will continue to ferment in the bottle.

Alan Talman