hist-brewing: Sake or Rice Wine?

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Dec 5 14:35:05 PST 2001

Wang, T & Anderson, E. N. (1999) Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules
for Drinking and Eating, featured in Petit Propos Culinare 60.
(Referred to as CFHR)

Which contains the following 2 recipes:

Duke Cheng's Method for Brewing Mung Bean Wine

Original:
Thirty catties of white flour. A peck of mung beans, cooked soft. An
ounce of t'ui sha-wood aromatic. An ounce of official-quality cassia
powder. Thirty lotus flower buds; use only roots and petals and grind
them - do not use branches or styles. Mash and grind sweet melon. Use
a piece of cloth and grind about one bowl of the sweet melon meat.
Mash smartweed to obtain its juice. Mix all these together till the
damp and dry are combined. Wrap with a piece of cloth. Tread it out
firm. Wrap it again with two layers (?) of mulberry leaves, then tie
in a sack and let it air out tied to a beam. Take it out after a
month, remove the mulberry leaves, and apply leaven thoroughly to the
surface. Leave it out to sun and to be covered with dew at night.
After about a month, put it in a pot and seal it. Every thirty catties
of flour can be made into seventy of wine dough.

Rice Wine:
Wash (glutinous rice) grain in river water. Soak it for about ten
days, then remove it and pour more river water over it. The water
should be saved and filtered for later use. For every shih of
glutinous rice used, take away one peck and save. Soak for three days.
Then, for every tou of rice, use eight catties of the water strained
off. Then, for a shih of flour, use four or five catties (of the
rice?). To make clear wine, use only three catties. One shih of rice
can be brewed per pot used. Grind up leaven and combine with the rice.
Divide into four portions, one by one. Use a small pot to pour some
water over it. Smooth out the mixture, put in leaven between batches
of rice (?) and press it down with your hands. Use a wooden ladle to
pour some water in the pot and cover it with straw. Look at the
surface the next morning. If it has a big crack, put your hand inside
and feel. If it is hard, hit it with a bamboo stick. After hitting it
three times, add the fermented glutinous rice. Use some undistilled
wine to melt some of the fermented rice and pour that mixture in the
pot. Cover it up again. Repeat the hitting if a crack appears again.
It will be ready in about a month. Then, for every two shih (of the
mix), use eight measures of powder-dough. Put one half in the
undistilled wine mix and use another bag to squeeze it. The other half
is put in a bag which is in turn put into the wine. Filter twice. Pour
off the debris. Add to the wine dough and cook. For clear wine, do not
use fermented rice mix (but use the flour/rice mix instead?)

How to make the powder-dough: Take ground mulberries, ground millet,
and ground fresh sprouted millet. Add hot water and roll into a ball.
Heat by fire till shiny red. Heal it three or four times. Grind to
powder before use.

This stuff is 13/14th cent Yuan Chinese.

Let me know how you go...

Cheers,

Drakey...

>I'm looking for any historical documentation and recipes for Sake or
Rice