hist-brewing: mead -bacterial infection?

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Tue Dec 4 04:04:43 PST 2001

>Pediococcus Cervisiea(sp, it's 7am), amongst other bacteria, forms a
>"pelicle" on top, which sounds like this. Most molds won't coat forming
>bubbles, as he described.

Your right. I miss-read the bubbles part. mold will usually look powdery for
the first day or two, then grow roots and hair a day or so later. I was
warned by a fairly knowledgeable friend that drinking a beer that has mold
on it can kill some people who are allergic to the blue/black mold we have
in deep east Texas.  Purification through evaporation and condensation seems
to remove all of the mold, and the result can be used to make a fortified
beer.

Athaulf Sweinbrothar
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.