hist-brewing: mead -bacterial infection?

Matt_lists Matt_lists at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:31:44 PST 2001

What you got there is BLOOM. It is a bacteria but is aerobic. That means
without Oxygen it will not grow. It doesn't effect flavor too much as long
as you don't let it get too bad. The best thing to do is to get the mead
into a bottle as soon as you can. That will cut off the O2 and your mead
should not  be adversely affected. The other alterative is to rack and
sulfite but I prefer to just bottle it up and be done with it.

These things happen to the best of us. The helpful hints already given are
good ones. Using a sanitizing solution in the airlock (I use an Iodine based
one myself but I have used vodka on occasion) and purging the head space
with CO2 will help this from happening again.

Make sure you scrub and sanitize all of your equipment that has come in
contact with it and you'll be ok. I have had it three times or so over my
ten years but it has never developed into anything chronic.

I like to bulk age my meads so I am disappointed when I have to rush one
into the bottle but better to do that then to have it go bad.

Later

Matt Maples

Liquid Solutions
12162 SW Scholls Ferry Rd
Tigard, OR 97223
503-524-9722
www.liquidsolutions.ws (web site)

May mead regain its rightful place as the beverage of gods and kings.