hist-brewing: mead -bacterial infection? (John Thomson)

Bob Davis brewer at enter.net
Thu Nov 29 17:56:12 PST 2001

ALBATRS890 at aol.com wrote:

> ! always fill the airlock with vodka or gin. The alcohol will keep it
> sterile. We always drink it every so often. (to keep it fresh)
>
> If you have some co2 you can fill the top of your carboy with it.
> Being heavier it will push out the oxegen.

Alternately, if you have a CO2 system, you can purge the secondary
(carboy or whatever) by setting the regulator at five psi or so and
dropping the feed line into the bottom of the carboy.  Run for a few
minutes, and you should have a surfeit of CO2 and no air.

My tuppence.

	-Bob

--
Robert Davis: Brewer, Living Historian