hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #11 - 5 msgs

j/kbooth jameshbooth at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 27 19:33:17 PST 2001

> From: Edward of Cornwall <fourmountainsmarch at yahoo.com>
> To: hist-brewing at www.pbm.com
> Subject: hist-brewing: Too much O2?
>
> Now I have always understood that the big deal with
> oxygen is that that it is only good at the initial
> stages of fermentation for the yeast to get off to a
> good start. After that initial stages and while the
> brew is still in active fermentation you must avoid
> introducing more oxygen.
>
> When you bottle you want the yeast to reactivate in
> order to use the new sugars added to create
> carbonation
so
it seems to me that a little O2 should
> not be a problem. Less worry at bottling time and more
> drink.
>
> As for O2 when raking to a secondary, I just don’t
> think the beer gets enough O2 when racking and I am
> sure that most if not all the fermentables (ie malt)
> are used up
and since fermentation is not taking
> place
again no worry.  I have decided not to worry and
> have not noticed any ill effects.
>
> Edward
> Atenveldt Brewers Guild
> www.atenbrewers.org

As long as the yeast is active, some O2 can be neutralized.
O2 in commercial bottling is a major problem for shelf life.

The major problem with repeated racking of unfiltered beer is the
contamination from airborne bacteria and that in the liquid
handling system. Too much O2 is not good after fermentation
is completed.

cheers, jim booth