hist-brewing: Re: racking

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Tue Nov 27 19:13:20 PST 2001

>With fruit beers, the use of a sack to contain the fruit and facilitate
>removal there of is something I would recommend.  Leaving a 6 inch layer
>of liquid in the bottom of expensive fruit beers is hard on my cheap soul.

You got this right. My children had to be evacuated from the room to protect
their young minds while I tried to rack the stuff. I have always had good
luck with using a chore boy over the end of the racking cane. No luck this
time. I had to cry and pour way to much beer into the compost heap.

On the bright side. My mead made from horse mint honey is really going to be
good. It is a touch dry, but not tart. The spiced mead is clearing nicely
and should be ready to bottle in a few months. My pumpkin ale is super clear
and has a great taste for a high gravity ale (O.G = 1.138, F.G. = 1.015 19
lbs grain, 5 lbs pumpkin, triple decoction brew) I started to go ahead and
keg it, but I was so tired of washing carboys, that I couldn't bring myself
to spend all the time washing and cleaning a keg (probably did a bit too
much "checking to see how it tastes"). I kegged five gallons of apple cider
the other day, and cleaning a keg for something as un-stable as apple cider
is such a pain.

Have any of you guys tried to alter a coke keg by switching the gas and
fluid connections and then keg conditioning the ale? I have had a lot of
luck doing this. You have to turn the keg on its side to serve it, and it
does not travel well, but it does let you serve off of the yeast from a
gravity/pressure fed tap.

Athaulf Sweinbrothar
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.