hist-brewing: Too much O2?

Edward of Cornwall fourmountainsmarch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 15:53:14 PST 2001

Now I have always understood that the big deal with
oxygen is that that it is only good at the initial
stages of fermentation for the yeast to get off to a
good start. After that initial stages and while the
brew is still in active fermentation you must avoid
introducing more oxygen.

When you bottle you want the yeast to reactivate in
order to use the new sugars added to create
carbonation…so…it seems to me that a little O2 should
not be a problem. Less worry at bottling time and more
drink.

As for O2 when raking to a secondary, I just don’t
think the beer gets enough O2 when racking and I am
sure that most if not all the fermentables (ie malt)
are used up…and since fermentation is not taking
place…again no worry.  I have decided not to worry and
have not noticed any ill effects.

Edward
Atenveldt Brewers Guild
www.atenbrewers.org