hist-brewing: 1. fruit (Charley Atchley

ALBATRS890 at aol.com ALBATRS890 at aol.com
Sun Nov 25 12:20:52 PST 2001

1) To avoid aeration when racking use siphon hoses long enough to reach &
wrap part way around the bottom of your carboy to eliminate splashing.

4 racking method
I agree with the 4 racks when doing a fruit mead or beer. But, when do you
add it? How long are you leaving the fruit in?

I usually put the fruit in the second rack. Then leave the fruit in for 4
weeks. I will freeze the fruit before adding. That starts the break down
process. Putting the fruit in during the vigorous fermentation of the first
rack will usually strip the flavors of the fruits

Frank