hist-brewing: brewing with fruit

Deborah Wood garwood at cam.org
Sat Nov 24 08:09:29 PST 2001

Concerning Charly Atchley's question as to how long to leave fruit in
the beer I have several sugestions. I make fruit beer reguarly to keep
my girl friends happy when they come to see me as they alway's want  a
champage flute filled with it!.
I usualy add frozen fruit to the primary fermentor, the fruit will
change color at which time( after 4 or 5 days) I skim it off the
surface, then rack into a secondary.
Some people add frozen fruit at the end of the boil keeping temperature
at around 165 for 15 minutes to paturize the fruit, this way gives more
color, but you must be careful to avoid pectin haze caused by too high
temperatures
I have also lagered raspberries at 40 degrees  for 3 weeks in a
secondary, leaving the fruit in for 3 weeks.
It is important to avoid off flavors from autolysis, caused by leaving
your beer on a bed of yeast too long.
Cheers,
Deborah