hist-brewing: Ovular hydrometer part II

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Tue Nov 20 20:57:50 PST 2001

I should have qualified that last e-mail with this fact. In period eggs were
probably small, and close to what we call yard eggs in Texas.

Yard eggs have thicker shells and small eggs have a smaller air pocket at
the top. A small yard egg (Buy them at the natural food store) will give
numbers that are a lot higher than the ones I posted. (The natural food
goobers call them "Free range eggs")

Also, if you let the egg soak in the fluid for a while, the air pocket fills
with fluid. On the upside I have noticed that eggs tend to not be as
sensitive to temperature variations as a glass hydrometer.

If you break an egg in your wort during the sparge, you have really screwed
up.  There is no way to get it all out, and it tends to do the egg drop soup
effect during the boil. Then all of your friends laugh at you and make fun
of your beer. Then they give it some name like "Vomit stout." (Even if you
let all of the chunks settle out and the final product is crystal clear,
they remember what it looked like in the carboy.) It also makes the beer
have a head that is almost edible it is so thick. (Also known as method #43
for screwing up a nice batch of beer.)

Athaulf Sweinbrothar
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.