hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #6 - 10 msgs

Gardengate32 at aol.com Gardengate32 at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 15:43:31 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/20/2001 2:26:14 PM EST,

<< Message: 6
 From: JazzboBob at aol.com
 Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:54:32 EST
 Subject: Re: hist-brewing: old strength guides
 To: hist-brewing at pbm.com

 --part1_ea.1e1e842a.292b3c08_boundary

 I have been reading & brewing old Digby recipes which predate the use of the
 hydrometer.  However, many of these old recipes refer to adding honey till
 eggs float the height of a sixpence or a groat.  How would this translate to
 modern gravity readings?
 Also, what is a Kiver?  I'm guessing it was some type of fermentor or barrel?
 Thanks,  Bob Grossman

 --part1_ea.1e1e842a.292b3c08_boundary

 I have been reading & brewing old Digby recipes which predate the use of the
hydrometer.  However, many of these old recipes refer to adding honey till
eggs float the height of a sixpence or a groat.  How would this translate to
modern gravity readings?

 Also, what is a Kiver?  I'm guessing it was some type of fermentor or barrel?
 Thanks,  Bob Grossman

 --part1_ea.1e1e842a.292b3c08_boundary--

i think the egg needs to float about 3/4 of an inch above the water.