hist-brewing: fruit

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Tue Nov 20 03:22:25 PST 2001

Does anyone know how long to leave a beer fermenting on fruit? I am trying a
German style fruit beer. (It is sort of like a lambic with out all of the
bacteria) After trying to convert "Hand throwers" and "Man highs" to
Gallons, and work out all of the ratios, I am faced with the fact that the
recipe had no times listed in it.

The recipe basically said to add the crushed raspberries into the
fermentation barrel. I have added 5 pounds of raspberries (1/2 gallon) to 4
gallons of wort. The fruit is all floating at the top of the carboy, and the
fermentation has basically stopped. My question is, do I let it sit with the
fruit for a while, or should I remove it soon? I found one source that said
"One year later" and another that suggested that it be racked as soon as it
stops fermenting.

Athaulf Sweinbrothar
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.