hist-brewing: PS: Rats!

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Sat Oct 27 06:37:55 PDT 2001

Hrm.  Well, I know by pronunciation, though not spelling, the word
you're looking for.  Something like "ishkavaya" or "ishkavar".
According to the people I've heard say it, it translates roughly to
"water of life" and is supposed to be the etymological root of whisky.
I presume the word predates the common usage of distillation, but I
don't know what the original beverage was.  Hopefully, though, the
pronunciations above will get you a little further!  :)

-Magdalena