hist-brewing: Stone Age Beer tastes like Shit

Martyn Cornell atrectus at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 15:26:39 PDT 2001

A rather late add, but if you want to know the true story behind recreating
Neolithic Orkney ale, rather than depend on sensational and inaccurate
newspaper reports, read these two books:

Neolithic Orkney in its European context edited by Anna Ritchie (2000)
Chapter 16:  The Neolithic Fair, Skiall House, Sandwick
specifically Andrew Appleby on recreating Neolithic grooved ware pots, as
used by Neolithic brewers to brew in, and why the dung was essential (not,
obviously, for flavouring the ale but building the kiln to bake the pots
in); and Merryn Dineley & Graham Dineley on recreating the ale, which
reveals that ale brewed with meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmara, a two to
four-feet-high plant of meadows, fens and stream banks with heads of
creamy-white, fragrant flowers) will keep for months; and

Andrew S. Fairbairn (editor) Plants in Neolithic Britain and beyond,
(Oxford: Oxbow books 2001), pp 137-155, Neolithic ale: Barley  as a source
of malt sugars for fermentation, again by Merryn Dineley & Graham Dineley.