hist-brewing: Brewing a Graetzer

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 12:59:45 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/8/01 8:22:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
stevene at metrocast.net writes:

> when the grain was done smoking, it was cool enough to hold in my hand but
> not for long. I would guess that the grain temp. was about 140 - 160
degrees.

>  Is it possible that I destroyed the enzymes during the smoking process?
> Would you recommend adding Amylase Enzyme to the mash?

    Let's think about this.  The standard mash temperature is about 152 deg,
for 60-90 minutes, and that certainly doesn't hurt the enzymes.  You estimate
that your grain got up to 140-160 for not more than 15 minutes.
    Conclusion:  Shouldn't hurt it.
    Scotti
    "Most people hate the taste of beer, to begin with.
    It is, however, a prejudice that many people have
    been able to overcome."     -- Winston Churchill