hist-brewing: Brewing a Graetzer

Steven Eldredge stevene at metrocast.net
Mon Oct 8 06:35:45 PDT 2001

I am brewing a Graetzer at the NH Craft Brewers Festival with another member of the homebrew club that I belong to. I am posting our recipe and methods for your comment, and we have a few questions for those of you who have brewed this or a similar beer. The recipe is based on the one in "Top Fermenting Oddities from the North of Germany" by Randy Mosher, Published in Zymurgy Vol. 23 No. 5.
Batch Size 11 Gallons, Efficiency 75%

17 Lbs. Wheat Malt, Smoked (Ireks German Red)

6 Lbs. Wheat Malt, Smoked and Toasted to a pale copper color

2 Lbs. Rice Hulls

Mash Schedule: 122 deg. Rest 15 min. 148 deg. Rest 60 min.  175 deg mash out.

6 Oz. Czech Saaz 3.5aa 75 Min.

O.G. 1.058, 44.6 IBU.

I smoked the grain about 1 foot above an open seasoned Maple fire that had burned to embers. I used Green Apple wood that had been soaked in water for two days to make the smoke. I spread the grain out in a window screen and smoked it for 10-15 min. I smoked the grain until it had darkened slightly. (about 2 or 3 deg. L) when the grain was done smoking, it was cool enough to hold in my hand but not for long. I would guess that the grain temp. was about 140 - 160 degrees.

Is it possible that I destroyed the enzymes during the smoking process? Would you recommend adding Amylase Enzyme to the mash?

The grain is Very smoky, more so then the peated malt that I have used in the past. (it actually smells kind of like a Slim Jim) I am concerned that it will produce too strong of a phenolic quality in the beer. What do you think?

We are considering lowering the bitterness to about 30 IBU's and raising the conversion rest temp to 154 deg. This would accent the malt flavors a bit. Any comments on this?

And lastly, I am brewing with a RIMS, how will brewing a 100% wheat beer affect efficiency, if at all?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Eldredge

Seacoast Homebrewers (NH) www.seacoasthomebrewers.org