hist-brewing: 19th Century American Beer Recipes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Oct 1 16:43:21 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:46:00PM -0700, Patrick Tiquet wrote:

> Anyone have any original 19th Century American Beer recipes?
> Particularly interested in recipes from about 1845 to 1885, especially
> those used in the Western United States during this time.
> Any info on unique ingredients, brew-process, materials, equipment, etc.,
> would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of books surviving from that era, but it's a bit out
of my league. We have a few of them online:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/brewing.html

Look at the very bottom of the page for post Renaissance brewing. I've
been slack about making a "Historical Brewing" webpage as opposed to a
Renaissance/Medieval one.

greg