hist-brewing: Mold & Mead

Crystal A. Isaac xtal at sigenetics.com
Thu Aug 30 08:58:44 PDT 2001

I have never seen a non-satirical, medieval reference to any of the
disgusting things rumored to be used in medieval brewing practices. I've
been researching medieval brewing practices (admittedly on an amateur level)
for over seven years. Please don't perpetuate these myths. People figured
out quite early that mold and bad water are bad for human health. They
strove to avoid such things.

I believe you are confusing mead and cheese. Removing mold/rind from cheese
before consumption is described in several medieval manuscripts.

--------
Crystal A. Isaac

The sky overhead is conspicuously pigless.