hist-brewing: Mold & Mead

Jon Mull Jon.Mull at asu.edu
Thu Aug 30 08:18:24 PDT 2001

Thank you for the disgusting question.

I suspect that mold was not necessary in period mead, just as fecal matter,
sweat or other unfortunate substances were not a necessity in period water.
(If you really want to make "period" mead, import 5 gallons of unsanitary
village water from some  third world country. The mold would just add
something chewy, and some color)

I'd suppose skimming would depend of the quality of the brewer and the
serving establishment. I doubt that the upper-class would tolerate moldy
mead. I have tasted beer that had mold in the bottom, it was quite vile. The
village folks may have not cared. Especially after quaffing a few pints.