hist-brewing: a period clairfier

Matt_lists Matt_lists at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:45:18 PDT 2001

>From
http://gunther.simplenet.com/liqueurs/winemake.htm

Historically, a wide and unappetizing variety of agents have been used for
fining. As with most French cuisine, I wonder how anyone ever discovered
these things. Ox blood, egg whites, milk casein, air bladders from fish,
gelatin from horse hooves, seaweed, clay, and earth have been used. In fact,
almost any protein will work at least somewhat, by binding to other proteins
and forming solid deposits. I don't have any idea how the clays work, but
obviously they do.

Unquote

Which reminds me an appropriate story. I have a shop where I sell beer,
meads, ciders and the like. I had a customer in early last week and I was
explaining Lambic style beer to her. When I got to the part about lactic
fermentation she asked if there was any lactose in them. She commented that
she was a vegan and didn't want to consume any animal product. A noble goal
if one chooses such a path so I was happy to inform her that lactic
fermentation had nothing to do with lactose but if she was a serious vegan
that she would need to do research into the wines and beers she drinks,
specially ones from over sea because some of them still use gelatins and
isinglass for fining agents. I informed her that I didn't know for sure
which beers if any here at my shop did but I could do a little digging if
she wanted me to. But as it turned out she was more of a serious beer
drinker than a serious vegan so she happily bought a bunch of beer and went
on her way.

The only things I might even think has animal product in it is Litwski a
mead from Poland or maybe some of the english beers from JW Lees. Anyway I
digress.

Later

Matt Maples

Liquid Solutions
12162 SW Scholls Ferry Rd
Tigard, OR 97223
503-524-9722
www.liquidsolutions.ws (web site)

May mead regain its rightful place as the beverage of gods and kings.