hist-brewing: Rowan Mead

Proteus proteus at powerof3.com
Mon Aug 27 16:18:47 PDT 2001

I'd like to start this out by saying i've only been
brewing mead for about a year and a half two years,
this is what i've tried and works for me. So take this
as my opinion which is probably gonna differ from yours ;)
For melomels, i normally use about 2-2 1/2 lb of honey/gal.
Fruit wise, it really depends on the fruit. Forgive me, but i am
unfamiliar with Rowan Berries, but generally what i do is taste
the fruit. If it's a subtle flavour (peaches, pears, etc) I use about
4-5lbs/gal, and fruits with a stronger flavour (strawberries,
blueberries etc) i use 2-3 lbs/gal. Works for me, ocassionally
i'll wish i added more fruit. But hey, keep acurate documentation
of your recipe, and if you wish you added more, simply make
another batch and add more next time. I found that the more
i make, the better i've gotten at guestimating the amount of fruit
needed to suit my tastes. Then again maybe i'm just making
excuses to brew more ;)

Jon