hist-brewing: Historical hops

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Mon Jul 16 18:50:23 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "George de Piro" <gdepiro at mindspring.com>

> Most hop varieties will lose 50% of their bittering potential after 6
months
> at room temperature, which is probably a big part of the reason old
recipes
> call for so much hops.

Well, now that makes sense.  I've never read or heard that anywhere never
mind thought of it but it's obvious once someone points it out.  There's an
old *Brewing Techniques* article at realbeer.com on predicting alpha
concentration of hops over time.  It may be of use (sorry, I didn't bookmark
it, I just figured I could find it again).  It's in a kind of "best of BT"
page.

Sean Richens