hist-brewing: Early Hops -- was re: IPA

Bob Davis brewer at enter.net
Sat Jul 14 06:41:39 PDT 2001

PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/11/01 10:39:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
> davemag at gocougs.wsu.edu writes:
>
> > And earlier section of the text claims that IPA's were heavily hopped: 4-5
> >  pounds per barrel with 1-2 pounds more for dry hopping. Intriguingly,
> >  though, MJ also claims that hops then were not as bitter as today's
> > varieties.
> >
>     When I brew hopped Period beers, I use East Kent Goldings, which
> are relatively low in IBUs.  I do so because they are the only hops I know
> which are routinely recommended for both bittering and aroma.  (Anybody
> think of any others??)  That to me implies that they are closer to the
> ancestral
> stock back before we started breeding selectively for either bittering or
> aroma.
>     Comments, anyone?

While I also enjoy EKG, my "historical hop" of choice remains Fuggles.  Fuggles
has less refined a flavor and aroma than EKG, is a bit more grassy and vegetal,
therefore making it, IMO, more akin to the unrefined hops of the period in
question.  Besides, in the modern world, it is recommended for both bittering
and aroma, and generally hovers around 5% AA.

Just my two pence.

        -Bob

--
Real World: Robert Davis - Brewer, Historian