hist-brewing: bread

Jeff Renner JeffRenner at mediaone.net
Fri Jul 13 05:22:16 PDT 2001

Randy Mosher <rmosher at 21stcentury.net> wrote

>I am also one who dislikes the "spent" character of old used-up malt husks
>and rootlets in bread, but I've found that cracked crystal malt lends a
>pleasant sweetness with an intriguing nuttiness. And, of course, that malt,
>as we know, is about as good a yeast food as can be found. Try it sometime,
>1/2-1 cup per loaf.

I agree.  Of course, if you can get crystal wheat malt, that has the
advantage of no husks (or rootlets - but my malt doesn't have
rootlets, either - where are you getting yours, Randy?).

It isn't a good idea to use regular unspent malt at this level - the
proteolytic enzymes are hard on the gluten and can make the dough
sticky and not hold gas.  crystal malt, of course, has no enzymes.

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, JeffRenner at mediaone.net
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943