hist-brewing: Early Hops -- was re: IPA

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 05:10:53 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/11/01 10:39:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
davemag at gocougs.wsu.edu writes:

> And earlier section of the text claims that IPA's were heavily hopped: 4-5
>  pounds per barrel with 1-2 pounds more for dry hopping. Intriguingly,
>  though, MJ also claims that hops then were not as bitter as today's
> varieties.

    When I brew hopped Period beers, I use East Kent Goldings, which
are relatively low in IBUs.  I do so because they are the only hops I know
which are routinely recommended for both bittering and aroma.  (Anybody
think of any others??)  That to me implies that they are closer to the
ancestral
stock back before we started breeding selectively for either bittering or
aroma.
    Comments, anyone?

    Scotti
    Having a wonderful wine.  Wish you were beer.