hist-brewing: India Pale Ale

Randy Mosher rmosher at 21stcentury.net
Wed Jul 11 08:03:17 PDT 2001

> From: "George de Piro" <gdepiro at mindspring.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:26:50 -0400
> Subject: hist-brewing: India Pale Ale
>
> What I have learned is that both 2-row and 6-row barley were available for
> malting and that the product may have been all-malt.  How common were
> all-malt brews in USA during that period?  If brewing without adjuncts,
> would 2-row malt have been favored?

I have a period (The Brewers' Journal, 1917) brewers publication which shows
that few American beers were all-malt, even some of the ones that claimed to
be, a fact which is backed up through chemical analysis the authors had
performed.

The author also states: " The all-malt beers made in this country contain
higher percentages of protein that the all-malt beers made in Europe, owing
to the use in this country of a barley high in protein."

He quotes Wahl, 1915: "...where a beer is made from high-protein barley, as
is the case with practically all of the beers made in this country..."

He also states that (normal-gravity) beers at that time were, on average,
1.1 percent lower in alcohol, with 2.23 percent fewer solids than beers
brewed in 1887.

> Wahl and Henius make no mention of hop varieties, which is quite irritating.
> Was Cluster the only thing being grown in any quantity?  How likely would it
> have been for an easern-NY brewery to have been importing hops from Europe
> or the Pacific NW?  When did refrigerated hop storage become the norm?

Bavarian, Bohemian, and English hops were imported here as old hop merchant
billheads and some brewery materials will verify. How much is hard to say.
They appear, as you might expect, to have been the best quality hops, used
in breweries' top-line beers.

Here's some figures from a 1910 USDA Bulletin, about US hop regions:

State               1903 Crop, Lbs

New York            9,000,000
California          10,920,000
Oregon              17,550,000
Washington          6,825,000

It is frustrating how little information is left us regarding varieties
grown, what the flavor characteristics would have been like.

--Randy Mosher