hist-brewing: India Pale Ale

George de Piro gdepiro at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 10 08:26:50 PDT 2001

Hi all,

I am desirous of brewing an IPA like one that would have been brewed in
Eastern USA at about 1850-1900.  I have read Wahl and Henuis' Handy Book of
Malting and Brewing and have also looked at some old advertisements run by
the Evans Brewing Co. around 1900.

What I have learned is that both 2-row and 6-row barley were available for
malting and that the product may have been all-malt.  How common were
all-malt brews in USA during that period?  If brewing without adjuncts,
would 2-row malt have been favored?

Wahl and Henius make no mention of hop varieties, which is quite irritating.
Was Cluster the only thing being grown in any quantity?  How likely would it
have been for an easern-NY brewery to have been importing hops from Europe
or the Pacific NW?  When did refrigerated hop storage become the norm?

Thanks, have fun!

George de Piro

C.H. Evans Brewing Company
at the Albany Pump Station