hist-brewing: Re:US Laws on Spirits, Wine, and Beer

Matt_lists Matt_lists at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:05:43 PDT 2001

Yes, it is true that this does give us a little lee way but not much. The
ruling that is stated it those regs states that beer that is reduced by no
more than one half of one percent is still considered beer. That equates to
less than 4 oz of ice removed from a 5 gallon batch.

This ruling was passes down so Bud could make Bud Ice and not get in trouble
with labeling laws and 27 CFR 25.11 Subpart R.

I think the subject at hand is relating to a higher concentration than 4oz
of water removal. I don't want to be a stick in the mud but let's be
realistic about the intent of the law and the wording of ruling 94-3 which
keeps bringing up the 0.5 percent removal.

Is ATF going to kick in your door? No, but lets face it many have done it(
not me of course :-) ), I doubt ATF REALLY cares but lets not fool ourselves
into thinking that significant reduction is legal (by the letter or intent
of the law) because it is not.

Do it, keep you nose clean, your head down, and your mouth shut and you will
be fine.

Matt Maples