hist-brewing: US Laws on Spirits, Wine, and Beer

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Jun 25 09:58:07 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:50:27AM -0500, Dan McFeeley wrote:

> No, actually it's quite legal.  From the web site Scotti supplied for us:
> "A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl
> alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol."   "Freeze distillation" is
> a misnomer since the process is actually a concentration of the alcohol
> content, not a removal.

Are you a lawyer? Have you tested this theory legally? If not, then
please be sure to point that out before you give other people advice
which might involve breaking the law.

I don't want a long thread about this on this mailing list. We'll bore
the non-US folks to death, and not resolve anything.  There are a bunch
of postings about this issue in the mailing list archive,

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lists/brewing.html

And there used to be a mailing list devoted to the topic,

sca-distilling at home.tycho.com

Although I don't know if it's alive at the moment.

-- greg