hist-brewing: (no subject)

Deborah Wood garwood at CAM.ORG
Fri Jun 8 09:52:14 PDT 2001

I have alot of experience brewing beers with fruit, and although I am not sure
what the historicly correct way to do it could be, I see different
possibilities.
put fresh clean fruit directly into the boil at the end of the boil, but keep
the temperature between 160 and 170 to sterilize the fruit for 20 minutes.(ice
cubes can help)
Put clean fresh fruit directly into the fermentor if it is high gravity, or
directly into the
barrel in secondary, and then filter through a fine cloth
Boiling water would cause the fruit in beer or barley wine  to produce pectin
haze which forms when the fruit goes above 170 degrees farenheight.
Last winter I put frozen  rasberries directly into a secondary of 9% brown ale
and
then lagered it. Wonderful taste!
for a simple fruit beer for a beginner, 6 to 8 lbs frozen fruit times 5 gallons
of beer gives a good flavor and color

Deborah Wood