hist-brewing: (no subject)

Renee Peterson polrena at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 02:14:56 PDT 2001

First, blackberries are listed in Dr. Culpeper's Complete Herbal, written no
later than 1653.  This borders on the edge, if not over, the period line,
but Culpeper remarks almost soley on herbs in England, so I'm sure it is not
a New World fruit.

As to the preparation of fruits in meads and wines, it isn't so much
different than using concentrates.  For 5 gallons of brew, I use 14-15
pounds of fresh, ripe, perfect fruit (throw away any rotten, bruised or
scarred fruit).  For berries like blackberries, I use them whole...the yeast
serves to pop the skins so you don't have to worry about the seeds getting
crushed.  I pour boiling water over the fruit to make 5 gallons, and I might
then add 2 teaspoons of metabisulphite to sterilize the fruit further.
After sterilization, wait 24 hours.  At that point, you can squeeze a bit of
the fruit for a hydrometer measurement...don't use just the water at this
point, you want to know what the specific gravity of teh whole thing will
be.  Once to determine that, you can add honey (for a melomel mead) or table
sugar (for wine) as desired.  Pitch your yeast as usual.  I push down the
fruit "cap" daily to keep the fruit moist.  Because of the seeds' tannins, I
strain the fruit off after the primary fermentation process, but you will
find that not much is left, anyway.  Proceed as normal.