hist-brewing: Re: Blackberries

Sara Tallarovic electricfish at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 11:18:02 PDT 2001

When I first moved to Oregon, and discovered the largest abundance of
blackberries I have EVER known (they are invasive weeds up there...but tasty
weeds at that), I made a blackberry mead.  I know you asked for a wine
recipe, but I do recommend trying a blackberry mead if you have access to
enough berries to play a bit.  Here is the basic recipe for a 5 gallon
batch:

Enough blackberries to produce 1 gallon of juice (maybe ~4 gallons of
berries?)
3 gallons high quality apple cider (not clarified apple juice, but pressed
cider)
1 gallon dark honey (if you can get blackberry honey, it is great)

We squeezed the berries in a mesh bag (the kind used for grains when making
beer) so that we only had juice.  We heated all ingredients in kettles on
the stove top until just under boiling, kept them at that temp. while
straining off  the foam for about 20-30 minutes.  Cool enough to add to
carboy, and use Pasteur champagne yeast.  It was quite tasty a year later
(it was quite drinkable when we bottled it!), and was absolutely heavenly
3-4 years later (the few bottles that I hid from myself long enough).  I
wish I had access to that many blackberries again....

-Shu'la, who has been lurking on this list a LONG time, but rarely posts....