hist-brewing: Re: Ale Yeast

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 21:07:45 PDT 2001

Thanks to Al K. and Steven for responding with some correct information about
yeast.  I routinely ferment strong ales (Barley Wines, Olde Ales, Belgium
Strong Ales) that go to 12% by using a good quantity of fresh Ale Yeast
repitched from a batch of my beer and properly oxygenating the wort.
Sanitation is always a great priority, especially when repitching yeast.  I
would only do this with a liquid yeast culture that you have experience with
and can trust it's purity.
I make homemade sodas by making a strong flavored tea from the ingredients
and then force carbonating it in a keg with filtered water and sweetener to
taste.  I've had batches of rootbeer and ginger ale last for two months in my
refrigerator without problems of wild fermentation.  I have a suggestion for
people without kegs and CO2 that want to avoid yeast carbonation of homemade
soda.  Simply create a strong extract, add a liquid sweetener (maple syrup is
delicious or a sugar syrup will work too) and add this to a glass of
carbonated water.  Bottled seltzer is pretty cheap and makes an easy mixer
for your own flavored extracts.
Bob Grossman

Dear Rory,
I poked around at Lallemand.com, makers of the
nottingham ale yeast I like to use, and here is what
Dr. Clayton Cone of lallemand says..

http://www.lallemand.com/danstar-lalvin/beerfaq.html#higrav

"Most ale yeast can easily ferment up to 12% abv as
long as it is healthy and happy. The pH of wort (4.0+)
is optimum for this level of alcohol production (wine
with a pH as low as 3.0, is stressful on the yeast and
yet they easily reach 12 - 15 % abv.)."
Regards,
Steven Sanders