hist-brewing: lemonade/ re: grenades.....

Chad McGarrah cormacogadhra at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 16:42:51 PDT 2001

re:
>If you add yeast and bottle, you will either use the
>standard amount of sugar you use in lemonade and make grenades ...

>but if you get any
>lactobacillus or pediococcus bacteria in there, you will again get
>grenades.

Please, especially new brewers, do yourself a favor...

I have seen the result of grenades...
I have seen glass shards embedded in drywall...
it was not pretty...
i was very glad to hear no one was around when it happened...

Use ceramic cap style bottles until you learn to control your brews...
E-Z cap bottles and other "Grolsh style" bottles will help prevent
grenades...

They come in many sizes .. I've seen 10-oz to 2-liter
I have had Beers, Meads, and Sparkling Wines do very well in these style
bottles.

I doubt they are "appropriate" for historical brewing
but I would rather be safe than sorry.

These bottles have a small rubber gasket that will most often release excess
pressure instead of the bottle exploding...
this may give off a little liquid mess, and you may lose a little liquid...
but better then a lot of mess including Glass and all the liquid.

No need for responses... take the advise as you will.
Cormac O'Gadhra