hist-brewing: ale yeast (was:lemonade)

Rory McGowen rory_mcgowen at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 17:27:24 PDT 2001

"M. Carver" wrote:

> > I've also heard people tell me that they've hit 30% with EC-1116 as
> > well. . . but that doesn't make it true. . .
>
> What's EC-1116?

Oh, may I recommend it to you? It is also a Lalvin, go for up to 16%,
and leaves less off flavors than 1118. Wonderful stuff.

> Maybe your people confused percent and proof? 15% = 30 pf

Maybe. Or it could just be confusion over all. =)

> How do you start a good yeast cultivation from local ambient strains?
>
> -M.

There are thousands of millions of types of yeast. Of those, only 250
will produce fermentation. And of those, only 24 are "good" yeast.
The good yeasts (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) for winemaking include the
strains Saccharomyces bayanus, Saccharomyces uvarum, Saccharomyces
oviformis, Saccharomyces carlsbergiensis, Saccharomyces logo,
Saccharomyces chevalieri, Saccharomyces diastaticus, Saccharomyces
fructuum, Saccharomyces italicus, Saccharomyces hispanica, Saccharomyces
oxydans, Saccharomyces pasteurianus, Saccharomyces prostoserdovii,
Saccharomyces sake, Saccharomyces sterineri, and Saccharomyces vini
predominantly.

Winemakers of Europe have for hundreds of years been returning the
pressed-out skins (pomace) of the wine grapes to their vineyards as
fertilizer. Over time, the selected yeast strains become dominate so
much so that the winemaker can achieve precisely predictable results by
simply encouraging spontaneous fermentation of newly pressed wort. For
the winemakers in the United States, planting new vines where none have
grown before, this is an envious situation. Even in the vineyards of the
USA that have been around for 150 years, such domination by a primary
Saccharomyces is centuries away. It is argued not only in the SCA but in
the Mundane World as well that you could allow spontaneous fermentation
in winemaking. . . I do not recommend this method. Your odds of getting
the "right" yeast are 24 in 250 or 10.4:1.

Rory
--
"Little" Rory McGowen, CSH
Fyrdman of Calontir