hist-brewing: Re: lemonade

Rory McGowen rory_mcgowen at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 11:59:43 PDT 2001

bernarding at abc-naco.com said:
> Yeah, I second most of Rory responses. Hey. What about Equal
> (Nutrisweet)
> Anybody tried fermenting that? or am I going to be the guinea pig.

I did that last summer also, thinking I was doing a Diabetic friend a
favor. . . I made a strawberry soda, and used Nutrisweet to sweeten it.
Before adding the Nutrisweet, I took a SG reading. By my math, the sugar
content SHOULD have been only enough to carbonate the soda. I then added
the sweetener to taste, and measured SG again. No big change there. . .
Because Nutrisweet is like 100 times sweeter then sugar.

Added an ale yeast, and bottled.

Let the bottles sit for a week, and then into the frig for a week.

Took them to my friend, and when opened, they had SO much force, they
emptied themselves! ENTIRELY!

My only guess is, Yes, Nutrisweet will ferment. And that is a guess. But
given the experience and the strawberry soda all over the place. . . But
the kids in the area thought the "fountains" were really cool!

=)

Rory

--
"Little" Rory McGowen, CSH