Melomels, Fruit & Flavor (was: hist-brewing: incomplete recipe ?)

M. Carver matt at invisionstudiosinc.com
Wed May 30 20:05:26 PDT 2001

Making a Black Mead (there is a currant-cake floating on my mead right now),
my recipe says to strain the currants after three days and press lightly,
then add red grape concentrate. I suppose currants have a lot of tannin? the
primary fermentation shouldnt be over for 6-10 days. Does that mean one has
to rack the mead out of the crushed currants, press them into it with red
grape concentrate, throw the crushed currants away, and rack again in four
more days?

-M.