hist-brewing: incomplete recipe ?

Rory McGowen rory_mcgowen at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 14:08:38 PDT 2001

There are two schools of thought.

One says take the fruit out before fermentation.
The other says take it out after the primary fermentation.

I perfer to ride both sides of the fence and if the fruit is weak
flavored, I leave it in, and if it is strong flavored, I take it out.

Pears are a fairly weak flavor, and are best (imho) left in until the
first racking. (BTW, pears make perry, a medieval favorite).

Banba MacDermot has documentation online about perry at:
http://forgottensea.org/medievalbrewers

Good Luck.

Rory